The Read-Aloud Volunteer Program is a non-profit organization that recruits and places adult volunteers to read one-on-one with children in Richmond and San Pablo Elementary schools.
Read-Aloud houses a core collection of books at each school and provides a home-library of books for each of the children. Volunteers receive training and an overview of the program. We are funded through donations from individuals, foundations, community service groups, corporate grants and contracts.
Goals of the Program:
- Provide one-on-one reading aloud experiences for children
- Improve the child’s reading and comprehension
- Build a personal library of quality books for each child to enjoy
- Instill the joy of reading and love of books in the children
- Encourages children to see themselves as readers and not just reading books
- Children know that their ideas and interests are supported by caring adults
- Children see themselves as competent and capable, and full of wonderful ideas
Meaningful relationships are at the heart of learning!